Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Love Old Windows


I loved the window project that Lisa at Serendipity Chic Design did.  Her husband found some great old windows at the dump!  Soon after her post, I saw an ad for windows that had been taken out of a house from 1865.  I talked my husband in to driving 100 miles roundtrip to go pick some up.  Yes, in a snowstorm!!  No, we aren't the smartest people to do that--in a snowstorm when gas prices are going through the roof!  :)  But, we got a couple of very neat old windows.  I was also able to pick up a couple for a friend. 


I love the wavy old glass!





I hung one on the wall and attached a wreath to it.



I liked it, but felt like it was missing something.  So off to my favorite store, Home Depot.



I started with a new fence board that cost $1.87.



I bought Apple Cider Vinegar and some Steel Wool (I had no idea what 'grade' steel wool to get, so I got #0 and it worked great).  The vinegar was $1.12 and the steel wool was $3.98, although I only used two out of the 20 or so pieces in there, so I'd say it cost 40 cents.



I read that you're supposed to soak the steel wool in the vinegar overnight, but I am a very impatient person, so I put it right on...


And I didn't even get any splinters.  I did wear some little gloves because the apple cider vinegar smell was not appealing to me and I didn't want that smell on my hands.
I let it dry for a couple of hours, then it looked Instantly Old!! (If there are black dots all over it, just put another coat on)


We took the window off the wall and drilled holes in the board and window and attached the two pieces.




And now it's hung with a shelf.  I've been experimenting on what to put on the shelf and so far these items are working for me. 









I'm so happy with the finished product! 



Thanks so much for coming by! 

Pam



I am linking to the following parties:



A BIG Thank you to Denise at Pink Postcard for featuring my project on her blog!